Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Lifestyle | I had a chill New Years Eve, and it wasn't that big of a deal.


Aaah yes, the crazy, unachievable New Year's Eve expectations. I've personally been a victim of this plague for a very long time. Growing up, and mostly getting into my teenage years, my family and me would always spend the night together, with some good food and a few movies. It wasn't until more recently that I thought more about going out with my girlfriends, using way too much glitter and drinking champagne without knowing what it's supposed to actually taste like. Due to recent events, this was no longer my plan, but I still had in mind to go stay at a friend's and ... Get my drink on.

THEN. Came the stuffed nose and the scratchy throat. From that day on I thought I was somehow cursed by an ancient witch without remembering it, and I knew I was bound to stay home and go back to my old habits. Bear with me, this did not excite me at all, at first. But then, as the 31st went on and I was constantly blowing my nose and coughing and losing my breath each time I got off the couch, I became quite happy to just stay home. (Unfortunately, we had a little bit of a food problem, but it ended up okay in the end, and that's a totally different story.)

After dropping my sister off at the party I was supposed to attend, we went straight to food. While that was cooking, my first reflex was to go grab my fluffy stars onesie and wrap myself in warm, cosy layers. (The best feeling!) Soon enough, my just-as-ill mother and I knew we wanted to watch a movie while enjoying our food. We had a bit of a problem on Christmas Eve though, so going through movie lists was a complicated process and I now know not to trust every movie list I see online. We settled on Sex & The City, which was such a refreshing choice! It's not as centered around New Year's as the website tried to make us believe, but it was a wonderful mother-daughter moment, that also made me realise getting a shoe proposal is my biggest dream in life. Of course we didn't just end the night here, after a bit of fireworks, we obviously went back to the couch to eat an entire tub of Ben & Jerry Cookie Dough ice cream while watching Larry Crowne (trailer here), one of my personal favourite movies. It puts a giant smile on my face with its cheery attitude and great funny yet simple moments. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone feeling a bit down, especially those of you who think it's too late to start a new project! Overall, I'd say I went to bed happy, and I would gladly do it all again.

Lots of love for this new year, 
Xélia.

2 comments:

  1. I would definitely agree that there are so many assumptions that come along with New Year and the pressure to have this 'perfect night' is silly. I haven't gone out for NY since leaving school and it's fine, I've always been more of a Christmas girl anyway ;)

    Chloe x | Snug Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those expectations seem so ridiculous to me now that I've grown up, and frankly I don't know why New Year's Eve couldn't also mean family time, the same way Christmas does. It's all about traditions when it really should be about personal preferences!

      Delete